Have Fun at Work to Increase Workplace Satisfaction

Note: This is part 4 of a 5 part series detailing why it’s important to have humor in the workplace.  This post discusses the obvious reason to incorporate corporate humor – fun.

There are 168 hours in a week, 52 weeks in a year, and usually at least 35 years in a normal person’s working life.  Given that most people work “40 hours” (that’s on the low end if we’re lucky), that means we spend nearly 25% of our adult lives (40 hours a week, 2080 hours a year, and 72,800 hours in our lifetime) at work.  You subtract a modest 6 hours of sleep per night (if we’re lucky), and it turns out that roughly 40% of our waking hours are spent with our jobs.

Aristotle said “You are what you repeatedly do.”  Well if you repeatedly come to work (40% of the time you’re awake), then that means you are an employee.  But if you were to describe yourself, would “employee” or “worker” be at the top of your list?  I doubt it.  Most of us would say “parent”, “friend”, “daughter”, or perhaps “comedian.”  But “worker” or “employee” – not for me.

Now some of you might be thinking, “But Drew, I work to live, not live to work.  I describe myself based on what I do in the other 60% of my waking hours.”  I would agree and applaud you on your astute observation.  But you can’t just ignore the other 40%.  You can’t ignore 72,800 hours of your life.

My point is this: given the amount of time we spend at work, why can’t it be enjoyable, exciting, (gasp) FUN?  Sure there are times at work that fun accidentally happens.  Every now and then a director messes up a cliche and it’s funny, or someone sends out an “interesting” email to an entire email conference that provides some laughs, but why can’t fun be apart of everyday life, something we intentionally bring to the table?

You can.  Not only is humor in the workplace fun, but it can lead to better health, improve relationships, and enhance leadership skills.  At a fundamental level, more workplace fun = more workplace satisfaction.  I’m sure even your boss would approve of something that has all of those benefits.

THIS FREE 129 SECOND QUIZ WILL SHOW YOU

what is your humor persona?

Humor is a skill that can be learned. And when used correctly, it is a superpower that can be your greatest asset for building a happier, healthier and more productive life.  See for yourself...

you might also be interested in...

Unbelievable Email Stats

By Andrew Tarvin | September 4, 2013

I’ve been conducting a lot of communication training lately and while researching my presentation, I was blown away by some email […]

Read More
inappropriate humor

How Humor Can Be Inappropriate

By Andrew Tarvin | June 1, 2018

The consequences of inappropriate humor are nothing new. But in light of the recent happenings with a certain TV show and […]

Read More

Funny on Social Media, An Interview with Tess Tregellas

By Andrew Tarvin | April 13, 2020

On this episode of Humor Talks, we chat with Tess Tregellas. Tess is the social media manager for Humor That […]

Read More
[scriptless]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top