The Moth recently started an awesome new creative writing initiative called The Storytelling School. Every Tuesday, the Moth posts a new story and provides writing prompts and activities based on the story theme to get people creative writing.
The program shares inspiring stories, provides writing prompts resources and material for teachers and parents at home, and allows people to practice the craft of storytelling.
Our Humor That Works team has loved learning, journalling and talking about these stories. Here are 22 writing prompts from the Moth we found the most inspiring.
- Tell us about a time you helped a friend even when it wasn’t in your own best interest.
- Tell us about a time you felt jealous of your younger, braver self.
- Tell us about a time you felt inspired by your younger, braver self.
- Have you ever done something other people thought you were too old to do?
- Have you ever found a new passion?
- Tell us about a childhood hero.
- Tell us about a time you were your own hero.
- Tell us about a time you had a chance to thank one of your heroes.
- Tell us about a time you discovered you’d inspired someone.
- Tell us about a time you were determined to do something, even if it felt dangerous.
- Can you think of a time you trusted a family member or friend (for better or for worse)?
- Have you ever had a moment where you saw yourself differently?
- Have you ever drawn a self-portrait?
- Tell us about a time someone you love gave you the gift you needed.
- Have you ever been called something that you decided to take as a compliment?
- Have you ever tried something you saw on YouTube?
- Have you ever seen someone you’ve known your whole life in a new way?
- Have you ever had friends or family members push you to do something new?
- Have you ever had a good time when you thought you wouldn’t?
- Tell us about an important teacher or mentor in your life and what they taught you.
- Tell us about a time you talked with someone about big ideas for hours.
- Tell us about a time you realized there was more to yourself than you knew.
22 Writing Prompts from the Moth – for Creative Writing
Humor and storytelling are closely linked. Hopefully these writing prompts get your creative thoughts going and help you to write a story worth telling. If you would like more tips on creative writing, story ideas or how to combine humor with writing, contact us to setup a free Humor Strategy Call!