The handshake dates back to at least the 5th Century BC, but likely not quite in the capacity shown below. Coming from baseball, basketball, football and TV, these secret handshakes can inspire us all to shake the hands of our peers more creatively.
Note: It may take a second for all of the gifs to load. There’s a lot of them.
1. Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera
Just when you though the handshake was done… there’s more.
2. David Price and Rays’ Teammates
Secret handshakes down the line!
3. Johan Santana and Mets’ Teammates
Johan Santana supposedly has secret handshakes with all of his teammates. The “encore” is my favorite.
4. Tony Thomas and Brady Thomas
Handshake? Patty cake? Both?
5. UC Irvine Baseball Players
It’s a combination of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Plus a high-five at the end.
6. Monta Ellis and Some Guy in a Coat
It’s like a normal handshake, but cooler.
7. LeBron James and Mario Chalmers
Not even someone walking through can interrupt this handshake.
8. Jeremy Lin and Landry Fields
Spectacles and reading a book–what else would you expect from the handshake of two ivy league grads?
9. JR Smith and Play-by-Play Announcer
The fact that the announcer gets in on a handshake is pretty sweet.
10. EMU Basketball Team
I like the robot into the frolicy jump in this handshake.
11. Melvin Ingram and Roger Goodell
Simple, but impressive to have one with the football commissioner.
12. Knowshon Moreno and Quinton Carter
I love the fake jump into a secret handshake.
13. Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams
They never actually shake hands… but it is hilarious.
14. University of Hawaii Football
I believe this started with Missouri, but Hawaii celebrates with a rather simple handshake. Yep, just a handshake.
15. Matt Duchene and Paul Statsny
You don’t see too many hockey handshakes, but this one involves dancing and almost falling down.
16. Robinson Cano and SportsCenter Staff
Secret handshakes bring a little excitement into the office (though may also spread colds).
17. Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
It’s simple but I grew up with this handshake.
18. Cory and Shawn from Boy Meets World
Also from my childhood but there’s a lot more involved in this handshake.
19. Turk and Elliot from Scrubs
Every good handshake involves a little running man.
20. Homer Simpson and Stonecutter Guy from The Simpson’s
The best part is wearing the same shirt.
21. Troy and Abed from Community
It’s simple but effective. Also the clay versions of them do it as well.
BONUS: Gordon and Barajas of the LA Dodgers.
I saw this one after the original post but it’s too good not to include.
Got your own favorite secret handshake? Leave it in the comments.