As I previously mentioned, I’ve started tracking my time in an attempt to spend more time creating than consuming. Since my initial foray into the challenge, I’ve made some adjustments to my process and have a lot more data.
I’ve shared my analysis in the presentation below, and you can find some of my key insights from the slides “after the jump.”
Key Insights & Actions
Here are some interesting insights and actions I want to take as a result of the analysis of the way I’ve spent time over the last six months.
- In my first month of tracking (July), I only tracked 21% of my total time. By December, I tracked 89% of my total time.
- I slept an average of 7.7 hours per night.
- I spent almost 2x more time creating than consuming.
- My biggest form of consumption is browsing the Internet (Reddit, ESPN, Facebook).
- I’m most productive between 10am and 8pm. I consume the most between 10pm and 2am.
- Stop hitting snooze.
- Increase my creation slightly. Reduce my sleep slightly.
- Focus more on business building elements, not just writing and performing.
- Spend more time reading for pleasure.
- Try to follow a rough schedule of Sleep (2am-10am), Create (10am-10pm), Consume (10pm-2am).
To learn more or to try setting up your own challenge, check out the Create / Consume blog.