I recently came across a great article on FastCompany that shares 6 myths of using humor in the workplace. It goes on to dispel each myth and share anecdotes from people that highlight how to properly use humor at work.
The 6 myths are:
- Professionalism and fun are incompatible.
- It takes toys and money to have fun.
- Fun means laughter.
- You have to plan for fun.
- Fun time at work will compromise results.
- You have to be funny to create a fun work environment.
For details on why each is a myth, check out the full article.
Source: Ain’t We Got Fun? by Beverly Kaye. FastCompany, July 2008.