A friend of mine sent me this article from MSNBC about the importance of Humor in the workplace during these tough economic times (thanks Chris). Naturally I’m a huge proponent of what they talk about in the article.
Here are a few highlights from the article:
- “Companies that have the highest propensity to succeed and outperform their competitors are those that encourage fun at work.”
- “According to a Harvard Business Review study on ‘What Makes a Good Leader,’ one of the key hallmarks of a great manager is a ‘self-deprecating sense of humor.'”
If you are a believer in humor, but aren’t sure how to get started, here are a few ideas:
- Start your presentations off with a joke, quote, story, or interesting picture or video.
- Play some improv games as a way to warm-up the mind for brainstorming, or as a team-builder or mid-afternoon break.
- Challenge each other to some riddles or a game of Scrabble.
- Create a “Favorite Comic Strip” board and have people post their favorite strips for others to read.
There are any number of ways to share a laugh today. Be creative, engage others, and most of all have fun.